Wednesday 26 October 2005

From domain names to e-commerce

Registering domain names is easy - anyone can do it. But finding a domain name which is catchy, appropriate & marketable is also important. I sort out registrations, disputes, redirection and anything else you need, without you having to worry about it.

Many folk aren’t aware just how many domain extensions there are available from which to build your internet identity.

If you are in the hotel, travel or hospitality industry, you may want to consider using the new .travel domain extension. As it is industry specific there are some rules & a procedure to get one which are all explained at www.tralliance.info

Hosting has also become a commodity epidemic with gzillions of providers providing websites free of charge. But when I lost my site for 10 days, and with it a shed load of prospects, I had a serious re-think about what I needed from a reliable hosting provider.

I've chosen a provider that uses webservers located in multiple co-lo providers across multiple cities! These servers back each other up every night ensuring real tangible website security. Big bucks are usually charged for providing this level of high availability & disaster recovery, but I do it at commodity prices.


Websites can be as simple or expensive as you like; bespoke graphics design is the big item that drives up the cost.

I've invested in Dreamweaver & Paintshop Pro so can put a basic web site together. I’m no expert, but I get by, and am learning new techniques every week; examples of work I have designed or participated in include:




the day job...










An e-learning portal.








a previous php bespoke design.









One common complaint is that customers have been stung by the cost of 'updates', the service web design companies charge for editing & updating web pages.

To overcome this, I'm increasingly using & recommending the use of a Content Management System as it puts you, the author and editor, in charge of all content:

- You choose a design template from over 100 professional designs.
- Using the online editor (you don't even need to know HTML), you get to add all the content ie. your words, pictures, multimedia and make some layout decisions.
- Using the customisable forms & tables enables you to produce a unique look.

The results are surprisingly good: you get to produce, maintain and update your own website with its own unique look. All at a fraction of the price (hundreds, not thousands of pounds) of using a bespoke design agency...

I also use NetBanx or WorldPay to integrate e-commerce & online shopping into my Content Management System.

This is an example of what can easily be produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment